Monday, October 17, 2011

I love my daddy.

I don't know how many of you have had the experience of seeing some one you really care about be in severe pain. So much so that they uncontrollably/involuntarily  moan, whimper or cry out in pain. Its so hard. I hate seeing anyone go through pain, never mind severe and some one I really really care about. Its torture. Especially since there's usually absolutely nothing you can do to help, other than praying.

Sunday morning I was woken up by the sound of my dad moaning (not really the right word but there isn't really a good word to describe it)...crying out in pain. I came out of my room and followed the sound to the bathroom just down the hall from my room and found my dad laying on his stomach on the bathroom floor obviously in severe pain and his back spasming like none other. I was like what is going on are you ok?! Then I moved more and my mom was there with him, and that made me feel a little better? Not really. They told me what happened. So here's some background: My dad injured his back about 20 years ago, and ever since then he has always had trouble with it, but never like this. This was the worst its been since the original injury, and worse in the fact that he has never had back spasms before. And When I say back spasms I mean like his whole body is involved. Sometimes his back will get pretty bad after being still all night, and so if he slowly gets moving until he can walk around, it usually settles down. So he just kept laying on the floor and then would try to move but it would just spasm again and the pain would be unbearable. So he drug himself out of the bathroom into the hall with his arms so that we could get ready for church, but he couldn't get up. This began at about 7am. I told him before church I could bring a couple guy friends home to give him a blessing if he wanted, and he kinda shrugged it off. I think he was still hoping he would be ok and it would ease up like usual. I left for church, and my mom left for church an hour and a half after me, and he was still on the floor. When I got home he was still in the exact same place. As soon as I was in talking distance he said he wanted to call our chiropractor and see if he had any advice or if he would be able to help at all. I told him that I asked Scott if he would come give my dad a blessing and he would, and that My brother in law would probably be able to come, if not I found some one else that said he would come with Scott. My dad still brushed the idea off and wanted to talk to the chiropractor first. So I called his home, and got his cell from my sister who is his receptionist. He didn't answer. I gave my dad more advil and left over muscle relaxant from when I had the pinched nerve or whatever the heck happened to me several months ago. Then I again tried to get him to get a blessing and was like "NOW will you let me have them come give you a blessing?" And he was like "yeah..."(in a pitiful resigned voice). It took a few minutes of reasoning but he agreed. So Scott and Dustin came over and he talked their ear off for a few minutes first telling them what happened and whatnot. I don't blame him after laying on the floor for hours by himself. So anyways they gave him a blessing and then he let that sink in. The blessing said he would fully recover from this and that he would have endurance to endure the pain. So after a bit he tried to see if he could move and get up, but he couldn't and went in to spasming again. He could move a bit more than before the blessing, and the spasm didn't last quite as long. But there was still no moving with or without some one Else's help. He kept trying until my mom came home a couple hours after me from church. She suggested that its ok (not all the time but on a rare occasion like this) to take two different kinds of pain killers, like advil and tylenol because then they work different ways. So I gave him a T2 also left over from my neck incident. He again tried to move, still couldn't. After a while we finally convinced him to go to the hospital, because clearly this wasn't going to pass. They could do an MRI and see if theres anything that can be fixed. Even if he didn't want to agree with their treatment, at least he could know what was wrong (hopefully) and decide what to do. So we called 911 and they came and got him. They tried to give him laughing gas to see if he would be able to get up by himself and into a chair they had, but it didn't work (he couldn't get up without spasm), so they got their back board and got him on it. They left at about 5pm. My mom rode in the ambulance with him. I may or may not have broke down crying watching him go away in the ambulance. I don't know why but maybe its just because I was finally alone. But it was hard to watch him get taken away by ambulance. I already cried watching him struggle trying to get up and his back freaking out. So anyways I stayed home and waited for word from the hospital. I called Jasmine to keep me company because I didn't want to be alone all night, and she came over at about 9:30. I waited and waited to get an update and my mom never called. Then at about 11pm some one comes to the door and its my mom. And I was like what the heck. Then I see an ambulance behind her. Confused I was. So as it turns out they just kept pumping more and more medication into my dad thinking that they would be able to get him to a point where he could move on his own and go home. Ok first of all-even if that did happen-Nothing was fixed!! Ok so he can move, but what if he is damaging something by moving even thought the drugs made it so he cant feel it!! Something is WRONG! Moron doctors. I swear I could be a better doctor than some with no training. Anyways so they pumped him full of drugs for 6 hours and he still couldn't move, so they told him he'll just have to go home and wait it out pretty much. And my mom was like HE CANT MOVE! So they brought him back home by ambulance on a back board, and left him on the couch. Is anyone else a little concerned by this? Cus we are. My dad was vibrating when he got home....shaking so bad from the pain and stress on his body-and I'm sure the narcotics. Apparently they would have done an MRI, but they don't do MRIs on Sunday. Ok so why the heck did you send this poor man home? Why wouldn't you keep him until the next day when he COULD get one?? Their reason:they have too many people with back problems come in to keep them in the hospital. So my mom was like ok so what-he goes home, and then when he still cant move tomorrow, I call 911 again?? I guess so.

So I go to bed finally at probably 1am after talking to my parents when they got home (I wish they would have called and told me what was up though...). Then this morning I started work at 7am, so I didn't know how he was doing today or what happened until I got off work at 3:15. I get home and my dad is nowhere to be found. I call my mom to find out whats up and she was like "he isn't at home??" Uh nope! I was hoping he was crazy from the drugs and wandered off somewhere and is stuck or something. But turns out he walked to my grandmas house a few blocks away. He is able to walk today, which is good. But hes still in really rough shape. So he made it the the chiropractor, and there was a lot out of place. I don't think the chiropractor could say if what he fixed was what caused all this, but I'm sure it at least contributed. My dad also go acupuncture tonight. He's never tried that before but a doctor or nurse at the hospital suggested it. And he had heard from a friend that that's what she did for her really bad back trouble. So hes giving that a shot.

So today he tells me "I'm fine." And I'm like uh huh sure dad, that's why you cringe when you move and move ever so carefully right? And again he was like "I can walk. I'm fine." Stubborn old man he is. He hates having this kind of attention, he hates being dependant on others. Which I get, but really? Good attitude I guess but what a silly guy. So there you have it. He will overcome this, but how long that will take is another thing!

Thanks for those of you who added your prayers, I definitely know prayers are answered, and that he is strengthened from them.

No comments: