Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hi, my name's Michelle and I dont have an eating disorder.

Sometimes I wish that all social gatherings weren't centered around food....or have food involved in any way. But think about it- how often do you go to a social gathering of any kind, and there is no food? Very rarely. Its getting really old to go out and have to explain myself, often multiple times of why I'm not eating, or what I am eating, and why I am eating it, and get incredulous looks and people thinking I'm insane or have an eating disorder. No I dont have an eating disorder such as annorexia...I dont starve myself. I have health problems, and so I eat a certain way for my health. In fact, I've GAINED weight since I started eating this way. No I dont really like it, thanks for asking though. I dont eat for enjoyment very often, I eat for health. There are some delicious things I can make myself....but for the most part when I go places, the easiest things to take with me are fruit, vegetables, salads, and smoothies.....so thats what it seems like I always eat. Which I do eat a lot of that stuff, mostly because I am lazy or lack motivation to make more elaborate things. And I'm ok with that.

I would like to clear up something. Meat and eggs arent the only way you can get protein and other essentials. Vegetables (especially green ones), and nuts and seeds and even fruit have a lot of protein. And I would argue that the protein you get from said things is a lot better for you than meat. Every one is different though, for some people, meat is necessary, for some people its not...and can be harmful. I would also like to point out that the word of wisdom says to eat meat SPARINGLY. I think most people's idea of what sparingly is, is way off these days. Pay attention to your main meals for the next little while and see what percentage of your plate the meat takes up. I bet its a lot. Seriously though, if you dont believe me, go look it up-you can get enough protein from plant sources. Anyways...

No I am not a vegetarian. I am not vegan....I am eating a certain way for my health. I dont want to be labelled. I just want to be healthy. I am not perfect by any means, and I definitely dont know everything there is to know about eating healthy....but I am trying so dang hard, and I am honestly just experimenting with my health. Trial and error. I tried all the medications the doctors had to offer me-none of them worked. They either made me worse, or did nothing at all. One helped slightly, and then I stopped progressing. I gave the medical stuff more than its fair share of chances. My doctor in Calgary said the only thing left to do was to opperate and remove my colon, and I would have an external bag attatched to me for the rest of my life instead of going to the bathroom. Theres no garuntee that that would even help me. And if it did, its quite likely it would only help me for some years and then I would be ill again. So forgive me for not jumping on that. I believe I have all my body parts for a reason, and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. If it comes to that-so be it. But I believe there are other things I can do naturally and dietary before that is necessary. Surgery is last ditch effort for me. So-I am experimenting. I am continually reading and learning about nutrition and things to do for my health. If the things I am doing now dont cut it, then I will try other things. I hope to not have to eat like this my whole life, though I do believe that what I am doing would be good for anyone to do, healthy or not. And I will likely continue with a lot of what I've learned my whole life.

Anyways my point- I am sick of food, and I wish it didnt exist and that we didnt have to rely on it. I'm sick of getting weird looks, and having to explain myself every day. I rarely go a day without explaining myself. And I dont want to discourage people from asking me questions...I would rather you ask questions than just sit there thinking I'm nuts. But try not to make me feel like an alien, have an open mind, and get over it once its explained. Try to be caring and sympathetic but not over the top. Discuss it-then move on!! I really am happy to answer questions, and I'm sorry if I dont explain myself well, I am still learning, and I really dont like to be put on the spot especially in front of a whole table of people all staring at me. So be patient with me. I'm rambling... the point- food sucks. the end. Sorry for the rant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Michelle - this is awesome! Don't worry, it's only southern alberta you get this. Thanks for the post about health! I'm supporting you!