Monday, December 6, 2010

Call me Mary

So tonight it was my ward's Christmas party. I arrived and found some friends to sit with, all was well. We ate and talked...then someone from the FHE Committee came to our table and said "we need a Mary for the nativity from this table, so pick someone and whoever it is, needs to meet out in the hall after." Immediately EVERYONE at my table was like 'Oh totally Michelle'. It didnt help that we had two of the bishopric members, and their wives at our table, so they were automatically out, and then Althea couldnt because she had another responsibility. So- I was nominated. I tried to fight it, but no one would have that. It was definitely unanimous that I would be the best Mary.

So I go out in the hall when we were called. Landon Hatch was roped into being Joseph (or maybe he went willingly, I dont know). I was handed my costume, which definitely included a belly pillow to make me 'with child'. And then I was handed a child as well. I was like how am I supposed to make this work? I'm going to be pregnant, and have a baby? Alright. So I'm trying to figure out how to hide the doll as we walk in. Some one suggested I put it up my robe. Uh...no thanks. I'm not going to go reaching up my dress in front of the whole ward. So luckily the sleeves on my costume were ginormous, and I shoved the baby up one of my sleeves. They sing an opening song and the narration begins, and when it gets to the part about Mary and Joseph travelling to bethlehem, we walk in and I tried not to ruin the moment, but I probably didnt succeed. Not going to lie, I dont like being in the spotlight. The best part though, was when the narrator said baby Jesus was born, and I whip him out of my sleeve. Yeah I couldnt keep a straight face, neither could Joseph or most people in the room. woops.

Aside from my horrible acting....the program was really nice. Between the Narrator telling the story, they had musical numbers to go along with each part of the story, it was nice....and hopefully me and the other snickering people didnt ruin the spirit of it too much...

1 comment:

lurel said...

I can totally envision you whipping a baby out of your sleeve.