This week I am in the sterrad corner. Sterrad machines do a different kind of sterilization than autoclaves, for the instruments that are heat and moisture sensitive, which are rigid and flexible scopes for the most part, and power equipment.
Sterrad sterilization uses hydrogen peroxide vapour and plasma to sterilize the load. There can be absolutely no moisture on the instruments or else the load will fail. So I get the instruments and use an air gun to blow out every little crevice and cannula, and then assemble the set. I also charge the batteries for power equipment. Then I wrap the instruments in the appropriate wrapper for the set or item and load the machines. Just like when autoclaving there are chemical and biological indicators in each load that I read and record after a certain length of time. For each load I record what is in it and then after the load comes out I put stickers on each item called lot control stickers, so that if there is any problem with the seterilization, each item can be found and recalled.
On friday I will be half way done my practicum! Woo hoo! Next week I go to the OR!
Thursday, March 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment