Monday, June 18, 2012

Renovations

So we are FINALLY getting our new washers in at work at the hospital! Its about time!! But that means its a month or so of a really big gong show while all the work and change over is happening. Its absolutely nuts. I wish I took pictures of how crowded and jumbled things have been with all the equipment and contractors around. We have been dancing around each other and weaving through carts and tables and junk for the last week or so. Its stressful. But it will be so so nice once its all changed over and done. The new machines are a million times quieter than our old ones. We are going from one single chamber synergy, and two 4 chamber washers, to our one synergy and 3 new single chamber washers. That might sound like a step down at first but its not. See the multiple chamber machines just did each cycle in a different chamber, whereas our new ones will do each cycle or phase all in the same chamber. And there will be a new conveyor system to replace our old one that is always breaking and a pain in the rear!! Our two old washers alarm and break every time you turn around. Its been ridiculous and so frustrating. So its going to be such a relief to have the new ones. And there will be a lot more space with the multiple chamber washers gone. Oh I cant wait. But in the meantime and process of getting there, its proven to be a madhouse. Like 5 people a day working over time because everything gets backed up with half our machines not in use yet, and things going wrong and figuring stuff out. So everyone is getting a little burnt out, especially ones working in decontam where the work is being done. One day last week that I know of for sure, maybe more...the people on the 3-11:15 shift had to stay until just about 1am to get everything done. I feel so bad for the poor souls that were the lucky ones to have that shift during the renovations. Luckily it hasn't been me yet, I have one next week. Hopefully things are a little less crazy by then haha. I will definitely be posting  a before and after picture, but here's 2 (not very good) pictures of the big washers going bye-bye!

That dude is taking apart the machine! As you can see the side is taken off  in this pic, but this is just the beginning of the craziness, it got really crazy the next day.

Right after I took this he looked up and said "you better not be taking a picture of this!" I was like Nope! hahaha. 
Rumour has it that we'll also be getting a second sink area with the new open-ness we'll have with the old machines gone,  so more than one person can be spraying stuff down at once. That would be really nice! Not sure if that is just a rumour or not though.

1 comment:

Travis & Macaul said...

SO jealous! That will be so nice when its done!!