I'm sure you all saw my post on facebook....but I'm going to announce it again anyways!
I GOT A PART TIME POSITION!
I am so relieved and excited...if you couldn't tell. It officially starts on November 12th. Its in the same department that I've been in for over a year, same job...I'm just stepping up from casual to part time. A while back our contract ended and a new one was made. With the new contract there was some new stipulations on scheduling- a big on being that casuals cannot regularly be scheduled shifts in advance. How we were previously doing it was the casuals would be scheduled the full and part time's days off (they have to have a day off each week). And then we were also scheduled vacation, and called in when others called in sick. Now with the new schedule, the position's regular days off had to be made into part time positions as they could no longer be scheduled to us casuals. This was both good and bad. Good because 5 new .5 positions were created, and bad because there was 9 causals and only 5 new positions. Which means the casuals that didn't get a position are doomed to never knowing when they are going to work being on call, and maybe hardly ever working. One of the casuals got a position in the OR so she wasn't competition any more, so that left 8 of us to compete for 5 positions. I was really worried to say the least.
Anyways...I stressed over my resume for a couple days, got it in. I really should have worked on it sooner knowing this was coming up, but for some reason I didn't Anyways, in the process of applying for the 5 new in our department, I also applied for a part time in the OR. I actually didn't realize it was in the OR, I thought it was in CP. Then I got a call for an interview a couple days later-in the OR. I felt a little silly haha. I debated and decided to take it. If I didn't get a position in CP which was my preference...a position in the OR would be better than staying casual, even though I really would rather not work in the OR. I did feel silly though because my resume was addressed to the CP manager, not the OR manager, and geared toward that. But oh well. It didn't seem to bother them hah. So Then I stressed some more about the interview. I had only had 2 weeks of my practicum up there, so I really didn't remember much. I wasn't expecting to get the position, but I decided, with some prodding from family members, that interview experience is good (which it really was). The interview went well. There weren't any questions that I had no clue the answer to, which I was worried there would be. There was of course room for improvement, but I felt good about it. I got a call 2 hours after my interview saying they weren't able to offer me the position at this time- some one with seniority who had been working in the department already got it. But she did give me positive feedback! She said she thought I did well in the interview and she was surprised at how much I remembered from my practicum! I didn't feel I did, but that was encouraging haha. She also told me that the person who got the position was in a temporary part time position, so that temp position will be posted if I wanted to watch out for it. So that was nice. To me that said "hey this person deserves this position more than you, but we were impressed and hope you will consider this one or others down the road."
So meanwhile I was also stressing over the fact that I wasn't receiving a call for an interview in central processing, the one I actually wanted. My manager seemed really anxious to fill the positions ASAP, and I heard he would probably start contacting people on Friday....so when no call came I was a little more than bummed. I still had a little hope that he would still call on Monday though...after all, Friday was only the first day he could call. Then no call came Monday either. Then my heart really began to sink. I couldn't believe that I would get an interview in the OR (where I had next to no experience, and addressed the resume to the wrong person), and not in CP (where I've been working for over a year)! That just made no sense. Then...no call Tuesday either. Seriously?? Finally Wednesday I got a call from my manager inviting me for an interview. "Are you still interested?" Um HECK YES! I contained myself though.
My interview for CP which was on Monday went fairly well, I felt good about it. After I answered one of the questions, he said "Wow...you're the first person I've ever interviewed that has answered that question correctly!" That was exciting....even though I didn't think it was a very hard question. I think people must just over-think it.
I was still nervous I wouldn't get a position though. My competition was 1 girl from the year before me, 4 from the same class as me, and 2 from the class after me. It was pretty well guaranteed the one from the class before me would get one, and that the two from the class after me wouldn't...so that left 5 of us competing for 4 positions. I really wasn't sure because I think we were all on pretty equal grounds. I was the last one to be hired out of my class because I finished my practicum last, so I was hoping that wouldn't hurt me. I was also worried that my health problems might get in the way. I was worried he wouldn't want to hire some one that could get sick for long periods of time. But- I got a call on Tuesday offering me a position!! Of course I accepted. I'm so glad that's over with. I'm IN!
Thursday, October 25, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment