Sunday, February 3, 2013

Book "Review"

So here's a new kind of post for me...A book review. If you can even call it that- I've only read the first 4 chapters so far but I am sold on it already!
Picture from (and you can find the book) here
I hope that title wont turn you off from this post. I know some people are sick of all the talk about missionary work. I'm sure not. Its such a great work and brings so much happiness to the lives of those who participate. I have felt the blessings of it so much in my life especially over the past year with my two different missionary callings and efforts with my aquaintances.

Anyway like I said I have only read the first 4 chapters, but already I have learned so much and have come across such new ideas I'm excited to try out. I have the deseret book app on my phone...and I pretty much only have the original free ebooks that it comes with...plus a couple. I got an email from them being like hey you haven't bought anything in a super long time, here's a super discount for you. And it was the above book. Since I'm so involved in missionary work lately being a service missionary and a ward missionary...it peeked my interest. So I said hey why not. I wasn't expecting what I have read so far. I was kind of expecting the same old thing....be a good example, make friends, and invite....which dont get me wrong those are good things, but so far I have only read new concepts and ideas. I love it. I really think this book holds great promise. If you are looking for ways to be a better member-missionary, I definitely think you should give this book a go. I'll let you know how the rest of it is but so far I love it. Here's one concept, that you'll have to go to the book to get more insight into it...invite non-members, or less active members to participate IN service WITH you. Not just serve them, but have them serve others with you. Maybe you have thought that way before but I sure didnt. I know serving others is important, but having them serve with you is where its at. Clayton Christensen points out in his book about that concept that everyone, member or not can feel the spirit of Christ when serving, that is not just saved for members. He also says this is a great approach for people who are comfortable and wealthy and dont think they are missing anything in their life. The doctrinal approach(and the YOU need the church approach) can be good for people who are struggling and need help...but for people who are well off and comfortable...the better approach may be the approach that The Church needs YOU, not you need the church. Makes sense to me, and I never really thought about it like that. The author says this all a lot better though, so you should really just go read his book. Good stuff.

Here's the description of the book from the website: 
"Uncomfortable." "Intimidating." That's how many people describe member missionary work. Clayton Christensen admits that he and his wife, Christine, felt that way in the past too. But they also recognized the tremendous blessings associated with the work, and they wanted to learn how to share the gospel in ways that would be natural and rewarding.
Clayton's expertise as an innovator kicked in, and he set out with friends and family members to find a more effective approach to member missionary work. Their refreshing perspectives are presented in this book, which includes inspiring, unusual stories that demonstrate the effectiveness of the ideas. Chances are, you'll discover you're already doing a lot of the things mentioned, and with just a little tweak here and there, you'll be sharing the gospel naturally as part of your everyday interactions. Along the way, you'll feel the deep joy that comes from helping others discover the most precious blessing in the world: the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: