I've joined this challenge to become a modern day "stripling warrior". I think the challenge is fitting, as it combines both spiritual and physical strength (read a chapter of scripture, exercise according to the number of verses), both of which the Stripling warriors possessed.
I particularly love this idea because of the battles I have faced in my own life with my health. I have definitely found that when my physical health wavers my spiritual "health" often follows in some degree or another. It is so inter-connected. While I dont have complete control over my physical health with the illness I struggle with, exercise (no matter how little, as sometimes I can hardly do a thing) is so important for health.
I have been focusing a lot on getting my scripture study more meaningful and consistent the past little while, and so when my friend told me about this challenge he created I was excited to add more to it. I am looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish both physically and spiritually. I am also hoping to be back at work come october and I think the exercises will help prepare me for that, as there is a large physical component to the work I do.
I am in 3 Nephi chapter 19 today, and there is 36 verses. I am starting with upper body day, so that means 36 push ups. Now- I am starting from ground zero, I have done next to no exercise for years, most especially the past 6 months as I got in a major car accident and my health took a dive. So I think I am going to have to be careful what I do because of my unique challenges, but I'm excited to see what I can accomplish.
So I started my push-ups this morning, and I wanted to know how many I could do straight in a row right now so I just went at it. I got 15 done. Then I took a break and thought maybe I could push through the rest but only got 5 more. I think the rest will have to wait for a long long break....later this evening haha. But hey 15 shaky push-ups (real ones-though I cant brag about my form) is pretty good for this little weakling!
I'm excited to make my scripture study more meaningful and have more goals to work toward. Its been a difficult past 7 months or so since the accident, I've been off work and not able to do much. Life gets hard when you have too much time to think about your own problems and aren't out working and serving others, so I am excited to have a new goal and purpose.
Join us in the challenge, the creator of this is hoping to get 2000 people participating. I think that would be so cool. Go to the site and check it out!!
Wednesday, September 11, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment