November 20th 2010 my best friend was married for time and all eternity in the Cardston temple to Trent Bevans!
Fresh out of the temple:
So rewind a few days...
The days leading up to her wedding were of course crazy...but it was so fun to be with her, running errands for her, making center pieces with her...all that.
Also, this:
...watching gilmore girls on my lap top on a bunkbed in what used to be our bedroom. Pretty classic.
Anyways...ok so Thursday during the day the decorations that we rented from both A lady in cardston, and a lady in barnwell were picked up...other random errands ran...and then that night we unloaded the trailer while some men played basketball, and then at 10:30 pm when they were finished playing, we started on the partial false ceiling/wall.
False ceilings are gorgeous, but man they take a lot of work. It started off as just me, Cathy, our parents, and my uncle, and eventually trent and his family arrived. I helped for a while and then was told to go home. I went home about 12:30am....and I think the rest got home about 1:30....they hadn't even finished though, they ran out of toulle. So that began my crazy day the next day.
Friday, decorating day, the day before her wedding, was crazy from the minute it began. I was left the key to the church and was supposed to meet Janine, who we rented most of the big decorations from, at the church and also Cathy's friend Melissa Lowry and people she rounded up to help. So I got up and showered, and then luckily I randomly checked the messages on our phone...becuase there was two, and they kinda needed to be heard before I got to the church. There was also a note on the table that said hey we ran of of toulle, could you please go see if you can buy more? The messages were from My mom, and from Janine. Apparently some of the lights we used in the partial false ceiling were supposed to be for the two gazebos...so the message from my mom was saying we had some somewhre in our christmas stuff if I could find them and take them, and the one from Janine was telling me about the miscommunication with the lights, and also stressing how important it is that I got there at 10am sharp because she had a tight schedule and would have to hurry. So anyways I ran around the house, found some lights, got ready in time and was there on time. I let her and her husband and parents in, and Melissa and her crew...and the fun began. So things start being set up...Janine and her husband and her parents were there to set up the larger stuff that was more complicated...the recieving line backdrop, and the gazebos. And Mellissa and her crew set up tables. I was told by Cathy that we could put up tables, but not the chairs until they came back and finished the cieling. So I show Janine the lights I found and she was like 'those wont work I need green strand.' It was kind of a really...wenchy tone. So anyways she told me to go buy some green strand ones from walmart and peavey mart. So off I go. That was a good time...long story short she told me to get one size from walmart, one size from peavey mart (because they are cheaper there)...so I went to walmart, then peavey mart, and then back to walmart because peavey mart didnt have enough. Then back to the church. The lights get put on the gazebos, the gazebos up. All the tables up. Then we start not knowing what to do next.
So Melissa and her crew say they are going to go eat lunch and come back...so I go get some lunch as well, buy some more toulle at fabricland AND Marshalls, and still couldnt get as much as Cathy hoped. And back to the church I go. Again not really knowing what to do next...we do some more little things, move some tables around...Cathy showed me a general idea of what she wanted and said she should/hoped to be back before we ran out of things to do. Yeah that didnt really happen and every one is asking me what to do next and I'm like gah...I dont knowww...
I knew the general set up of things, but I also knew Cathy had a picture in her mind of just what she wanted, and I didnt want to just start doing things and hope it was good, because I didnt want to do anything wrong. So anyways...enough little details. The jist of that day was I was stressed out, was the ring leader of decorating, and therefore the ring leader of take down after the reception because I was really the only one there setting up that Janine gave all the little instructions that had to be remembered for take down. nice.
So Cathy and everyone finally got there (oh the reason they werent there was because they were at the temple for Cathys first time through), and things finally started coming together...we actually mostly got done decorating at about 9pm...not bad! But there was other things to be done and I didnt get home until about 11pm.
Then Cathy got home just before midnight and got a text from Trent that said "I forgot to pick up my tux today..." GOOD ONE! The groom has barely any tasks to prepare for a wedding compared to the bride...and of all things he forgets his tux. Oh Trent.
So the next morning A good friend, Jess Matkin came to do Cathy's, mine, and Melissa's hair. Cathy's hair and make-up gets done and her and my parents are off to the temple (late), then my hair was done, and then while Melissa was getting her hair done, I ran to tip top in the mall to pick up Trent's tux. I was waiting outside for them to open their doors at 10am. Then my mom also forgot to pick up her shoes from a store in the mall so I got those too and went back home, and me and Melissa were finally off to the temple at about 10:32am. Yeah we needed to be at the temple at 11. But guess what- we got there right at 11. Thank goodness for melissa's speeding abilities, clear-ish roads, and no cops. We may or may not have been driving 170 most of the way. Woops!
So we made it just in time to help finish tying ribbons on bouteniers and boquets, and to see Cathy and Trent come out. I mean they really wouldn't have come out without us being there, we had Trent's tux...but we still really wanted to get there on time. Pretty sure we were some of the only ones who actually got there when we were supposed to. Cathy and my parents were late, and Trent was late-he didnt BELIEVE Cathy that he was supposed to be there an hour early. Silly Trent. But alas, everything worked out.
So they came out, and looked SO happy! I love seeing newly weds, they always look sooo happy...and it was especially great seeing as it was my sis. She looked perfect. Her dress was perfect, her jewlery and hair perfect, she was just perfect. I guess Trent looked pretty good too.
So pictures were FREEZING! Cathy had 5 bridesmaids...and Trent had 3 groups of 5 groomsmen. The groups of groomsmen would rotate in, so the groomsmen got to go inside more often then the bridesmaids. But we would take some pictures and then huddle in blankets or run into the visitors center...then take some more, etc. We probably would have taken more pictures if it wasnt so freezing...but hopefully we got some good ones...and hopefully I'm not blurry in them because I was shivering SO bad! But I survived! Though I do have a pretty nasty cold right now.
After pictures we came home, picked up some stuff, I re-curled some of my hair and then we were off to the church to get ready for the family dinner!
For the family dinner Cathy and trent had the bridesmaids, and two of the groups of groomsmen at the head table with them (the other group was brothers, and they sat with parents at the tables right in front of the head table). Anyways...we were announced (kinda like a pep rally haha) and walked/strutted/danced in to the head table. Then dinner was served to us, and the program began partway through dinner. The program started a bit late because the pianist for the first song couldnt be found...but the program was great.
Then the calling reception began. I was stationed at the guestbook table most of the time...but I was alright with that. I got to sit in a comfy chair for a while. Scott joined me for the calling reception and dance. I'm pretty sure he was probably bored...but he insisted he wasnt. Hes great!
Then me and Scott were sent home to get Cathy's lap top, which had the dance playlist on it. And the dance began! It was pretty fun. There was a good amount of people who stuck around for the dance. I mean...Trent had 15 groomsmen, and a bunch of his saskatoon school friends came, and Cathy has a lot of friends...so anyways...good times!
After Cathy and trent ran off together, the take down began. I was beat! But I had to ring lead the takedown, because as I said earlier...I was pretty much the only person there for set up, who was there for takedown...and Janine had a bunch of little instructions for everything. But it went alright. It was definitely hard to remember what everything came out of...she may not have got everything back in the same containers they came in...but she got everything back in one piece, if she had to switch things around I dont know! It was hard for me to have to pace myself and ask other people to do stuff for me though because of my health, and I definitely did way more than was smart, but I survived...I'm still recovering a week later...but I loved being able to do so much for her in preparation and on her big day, I was her go-to girl. But anyways we have good friends that stayed and helped a long time...and my amazing boyfriend Scott stayed the whole time until we were done, and did everything he could for me. Sorry if I'm making you gag, but hes the best! He would keep saying let me do that, just tell me what to do. Yeah anyways, hes great. He took me and his van loaded with stuff to my house at 2am, and we unloaded it. My parents didnt get home until 3 for the first time, and they had to go back 2 more times for more stuff. They definitely didnt make it to church the next day....suprisingly I did. I had to make myself get out of bed right when my alarm went off though, I definitely would have fallen back asleep instantly if I didnt.
Anyways- I'm so happy for Cathy...shes been waiting for this for a while, and it finally happened. I am sad she is living in saskatoon now though...hopefully they move closer when Trent's done school!
Love you Cathy!

No comments:
Post a Comment