So last week I began sewing mine, and one of her other bridesmaid's dresses. I am not an amazing sewer, but I can get the job done with little hints from my mom. But...I was going nuts with these dresses. Essentially I was trying to sew 4 dresses, because they are lined. I had to sew the lining of Kortney's dress quick because she was coming from Saskatoon this past weekend, and we wanted to be able to make sure it was going to fit before I started on the actual dress...so my mom and I were hurring to get the lining done...and there was some mistakes made because we were hurring. It also doesnt help that lining material is super slippery and hard to work with.
First headache: Both the front bodice, and back bodice needed to be cut twice, but the front was supposed to be cut on the fold of the material, and the back not, just doubled up. But my mom did them backwards...so I realized this when I went to sew the bodice pieces to the skirt pieces. Uhg! So I had to cut the back bodice into two, not a big deal...but for the front that was supposed to be one piece, and ended up as two...we had to add a strip of material in between them and sew them together. Not a huge deal....but more stress and time, and I just like to do things right...not settle for good enough...but I'll get over it haha.
second head ache: This one was my fault...There was the front skirt piece, and two back skirt pieces. I went to attach the back pieces to the front and I was like ok, right sides together. And Cathy was right there and saw me do it...but somewhere between there, and pinning and sewing them together...I ended up sewing them on backwards. SERIOUSLY? I had them right, how the heck did I manage that. This happened on the third day of sewing nearing the end of the day and my whole body was hurting from bending over cutting and pinning and sewing and ironing for the past few days....and my eyes were getting glazed over and cross-eyed...anyways...another setback. I had to unpick those seams, which I surged instead of sewing them, which is even harder to get out! So I unpicked those seams, and got them on the right way. Kortney came to see if it fit, and it fit pretty good, the shoulder seam just needed to be taken in a little bit, no big deal.
Third head ache: Number one rule of sewing ALWAYS check before sewing. Yeah, I broke that rule. What happened was we found a pattern that was almost what we wanted, but not quite...so a really good family friend who is altering Cathy's wedding dress for her, said she would alter the pattern for the bridesmaids dresses for us as well. So all the bridesmaids gave her their measurements and she made the patterns for all 5 of us. So when I began on my dress, I figured I didnt really need to make sure that pattern was going to fit, I didnt really think about making sure because Brenda is amazing and I gave her my measurements so it should be good. The thought of making sure didnt even cross my mind. So off I go sewing my dress...and after I had all the darts in the all the bodice and skirt pieces (which was A LOT of darts), some one wanted to see how it was coming along...so I hold them up to myself...and my mom was there and she was like um, Michelle...is that going to fit you? And I realize- no, no its definitely too small. WONDERFUL. A day's worth of sewing, and its too small. Perfect.
So...good news? After all that- Brenda offered to trade me tasks, she would sew the bridesmaids dresses and I would surge a ton of fabric for her for bows and table cloths and whatnot. She said she might as well sew them because it will take her half as much time as it will us. Perfect, SOLD! No skin off my back. I may never want to see red fabric ever again. I am so glad I dont have to finish those dresses, hopefully my new task is better for me haha.
So other wedding prep I have been helping with:
- Making phone calls, finding out who is in charge of what church buildings to book one for her reception...other random phone calls about renting decorations and stuff like that
- Adressing envelopes
- stuffing envelopes with invites and family dinner cards, and temple cards
- Putting postage stamps on invites and taking them to a mailbox
- delivering the lethbridge invites
- scanning in pictures for the wedding slideshow
- making sure my mom stays on the ball with her tasks, trust me-this is a task
- now surging a ton of material for chair bows and whatever else
- other random little things
- planning a bridal shower for this thursday
So pretty much I'm Cathy's go to girl...and I'm so glad I can help. For the most part I have loved being able to help her so much. Yes it has been a lot of work, but since I'm not in school or working yet, its given me something to do, which is great!
Love you sis!!

No comments:
Post a Comment