I am officially A surgical processor! Today was my first day of work at the hospital! And I made it through (it was iffy)!
This morning I woke up and got ready and I was so shaky and feeling weak. Like we're talking Parkinson's disease kind of shaky. It was not good. And my legs felt really weak too. But I decided that I was going to try, so I did. I prayed my heart out that I would be able to make it through the day and Heavenly Father said ok. I know without a doubt it was only because of my prayers the past few days and taking a leap of faith that I succeeded. My prayers will be the same for tomorrow haha. anyways back to my day...
I was scheduled to start at 11 but my manager asked me to be there at 10:30 to get some paperwork, ID and my locker signed out, and some tour-ish stuff taken care of. When I got there he said that I could leave at 6:45 (instead of 7:15 like I was scheduled for) because I came in at 10:30. So that was also a blessing.
Blessing number 2: starting in the summer. Its slower in the summer, at least sometimes, and today was one of those days. And to most people they hate slow days, but for me not feeling well, it was good. Also the area I was supposed to be in today was ortho pans....the biggest/heaviest instrument sets/pans. But it turned out there was only one ortho case today so I did that one and then just did whatever random stuff....jumped around from area to area.
Blessing number 3: I was with fun people to work with. Makes a difference.
Blessing number 4: Maybe TMI but I didn't have to go to the bathroom outside of breaks. Which if I did it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But that was a big concern I had. I didn't want to seem like a slacker always "going to the bathroom" even though that would be what I was really doing.
Blessing number 5: I had a lighter day because I had to be shown around and stuff, and do first day stuff...like be shown my mail box, computer stuff, etc.
Blessing number 6: I made it....and didn't even feel like I wouldn't. I wasn't DYING to go home at all during my shift. I mean I was still not strong and my back and neck hurt....but the back and neck hurting happened on the best of days during my practicum.
Blessing number 7: There's one area where all you do is sort and inspect instruments and then put them in their containers...and today they had a stool at the table so when I was doing that stuff I could sit down a bit! I don't know if they have decided to always have it there, or if its because some one is injured or what....but I was glad for it today!
So woohoo! I did it! I left feeling optimistic and not dreading tomorrow!But then when I was going home I pulled on to mayor magrath from 10th ave....and when I went around the corner I ran out of gas. The gas gage said I had gas (not much, granted, but definitely enough). Thanks for that truck, you are not in my good books right now. So I tried to get my hazard lights on, couldn't get them....so I opened my door and tried to push my truck to the Japanese gardens parking lot....but it stopped....and I was not strong enough to even really get it to budge. Uhg. Meanwhile people are swerving around me, a semi honked and swerved. Thanks people, cant you tell I'm struggling and TRYING to get out of the way. Gosh. Here's this stick girl trying to push a truck down mayor magrath. No don't worry about her-looks like so doesn't have it under control. Gosh. But some one did stop after a while and helped me push it to the parking lot which really wasn't that far away....I just really wasn't strong enough to push it on my own. Then they were like so you have a phone? are you good? I was like well no actually I don't have a phone. And they were like ehhh...we don't either. I was like ah don't worry about it I dont live that far away, I'll just walk. Thank you so much! So I proceed to walk from japanese gardens to my house. Which if I was in good health would be fine....but I just worked a full days work and am not in good health and it was stinkin hot and yeah.....oh good! But I actually quite enjoyed the walk for the first 5 minutes. It did get to be a little much though. But alas even if I could have found some one with a phone my parents are in Calgary for the day. I suppose I could have called my grandma....but I don't think I could have found some one with a phone that easily anyways. Oh well....I made it! Super tired though....hopefully sleep will strengthen me for tomorrow!
Here's my favourite scripture(s) lately that have been getting me through:
"Verily, Verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the father hath his own hands prepared for you;
And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along."
...I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left...and mine angels [shall be] round about you, to bear you up.
...The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours."
(D&C 78:17-18; D&C 84:88; D&C 78:18)
That middle part is what I have been praying for... Love those scriptures!
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Whoa. I'm exhausted just reading this. I'm surprised no one got out to help you sooner. What the... c'mon Lethbridge! So are you working full time now or part time? That's sweet though. Next time try to have your truck die before 5 and I will come running out of the Japanese Garden to help you.
I'm casual....so part time-ish hours. I am doing 3 days a week while I am doing orientation. Then one I am done orientation I will probably only get 2 days a week (all shifts are 8 hours) depending on how many people take vacation and how often people call in sick...I could get more sometimes. But at least its a start, and I'm still hoping to find a full time job at a dental office sometime. This is a start though!
Perfect, next time I will definitely try to break down before 5!
Post a Comment