Sunday, November 13, 2011

Saskatoon

So I ran away again to Saskatoon this past weekend. It was great fun minus the eternal drives there and back and narrowly missing death on the way back. Anyways that story will come...

I (thought I) had to work 7-3:15 on wednesday and then I would leave after I got off because I didnt work the rest of the week/weekend....but as is turned out I showed up and everyone was like hi michelle...pause....wait a minute theres too many of us! Did Dave overschedule, or is one of us not really supposed to be here? I was like dang it its probably me. So we go and look and sure enough, it was actually thursday that I had that shift not wednesday. I could have just worked it and left after work thursday but I decided to just get someone to take my shift and leave wednesday anyways. I just wanted to go!

So anyways we didnt do anything too spectacular, but I had fun just hanging out with Cathy and Trent. Some highlights:

Saturday night Cathy was having a Scentsy girls night party. That was one of my excuses for going. I really wanted scentsy....yes I could have found some one in lethbridge....but going to saskatoon was so much more fun! So I may have smelled all the scents over and over all weekend trying to decide and narrow down the 20 or so that I liked to just a few! I may have gotten a little loopy on scentsy haha! It was fun though.

I told Cathy we should go shopping because I really needed a new pair of jeans, because I wear the same ones every day. Cathy said some one told her about a second hand store out there that only takes gently used nice brand name stuff (though I dont think it was all brand names, just nice stuff) so we found out what it was called and off we went. Let me tell you that is a dangerously awesome store. I could have bought half the store I bet....and we didnt even look through everything because we had to stop finding cute stuff and get outa there haha. It was so sweet! I may or may not have gotten 3 pairs of jeans, 2 tops, and a pair of shoes all for $70. It was awesome. And I loved so much more than that but had to draw the line somewhere. I will add pictures of my sweet finds tomorrow! I'm in love! haha...


2 Skinny jeans, 1 straight leg, one shirt, one blazer-ish top?, one pair of flats all for $70=a happy me!

Other than that we made yummy meals, cathy and I ran errands, put up Christmas lights, cleaned a bit, and just hung out. It was great. Oh yeah and went out for sushi-so good!

So here's a good(?) story I aluded to earlier...but you CANNOT repeat this to anyone- it cant get back to my parents. For real they cant find out, especially since I haven't told them, that will make them even more upset than If I told them in the first place, but I'm sparing them because it would just cause them to worry if I drive out to sask or anywhere else again which wouldnt do any good. So on the way home the roads where sketchy (from snow) here and there in saskatchewan, but were perfect just before entering alberta and the rest of the way home. So one time I pulled out to pass a big semi that was driving 80, and my back end started flying back and forth and I was FREAKING out. Here I was right beside a semi, with another vehicle behind me, and I'm flying all over the road. I almost got past the semi and then my back end flew once more toward it and I thought that was going to be the end of my life. I really dont know how I didnt hit the semi (slash how he didnt hit me) but he must have been able to slow down or avoid me because I'm sure my back end was heading right for its front end. Then when I didnt hit the semi my back end swung the other way and into the ditch I went kind of sideways. I dont know how I didnt roll when I went in the ditch either. It wasn't my time to die on monday, because I really think I should have died. But no visible damage was done to me or my truck or the other vehicles, and I just slowly drove up the ditch until there was a place I could just drive out, and I drove out. So no visible damage but there was definitely internal damage. I really thought I was about to die, and I feel bad because I'm sure I probably gave the other two drivers a heart attack too, especially the semi driver. Terrifying. But I was protected and I'm grateful for my prayers, and my family's prayers for my safety, because I'm sure thats what helped protect me. It was interesting to think about it for a while after though...when you almost die it makes you think deeper about your life, at least I did. I didn't die that day when it was a very real possibility and very close. I had the thought that I must still have a great purpose or two in this life and made me think What am I supposed to be doing? I have a great purpose in this life and I need to make sure I am always striving to follow Heavenly Father's plan for me and make it count, because I could go any day. Those were the kinds of jumbled in shock thoughts I was having for the rest of the drive home. It was insane, but I'm grateful that it wasnt my time to go, and I hope I can do better at making each minute count.

Oh yeah and on top of that I lost my big cooler with a bunch of food in it before I even left Saskatoon. Either my tail gate wasnt actually closed all the way and it fell out, or some one stole it in the two seconds I went to call my parents and let them know I was on the way after buying gas. To be honest neither seems likely to me...I was in site of the truck the whole time and they would have literally only had 30 seconds to sneak it out. But if it fell out I would htink that one-I would have heard it, and two that some one would have honked because I'm pretty sure there was drivers behind me the whole way to the gas station. I went back to Cathy's and traced my path to the gas station, and I didnt see it anywhere. Though I was having to pay a fair amount of attention to where I was going too, because I'm unfamiliar with the city. So yeah that made me really sad, I had lots of good stuff in it, and it was a pretty good cooler too. Apparently we got it at a garage sale my parents said when I got home, so that made me feel a little better because I think big good coolers are pretty expensive, but still, I'll have to replace that now. And I was really sad about losing the food too, especially since I'm home alone for the week because my mom had jaw surgery in calgary and my dads up there with her. But anyways it wasnt the end of the world, just too bad.

Anyways I had a great time and I really like saskatoon. You have to have good hook-ups and in the knows though because otherwise it would just be another city and not that special. But come on- street sales, wicked second-hand stores, all you can eat sushi and buffet, and a beach in the middle of the city? I'm sold. My one complaint is that I do wish it was closer to home!

No comments: